|Tabletop? Check. Roleplaying? Check.|
Tabletop roleplaying? You wish.
- It means sitting around a table with other people, engaged in the joint storytelling of ridiculously awesome (and probably cheesy) stories, and having social fun in the real world with real friends.
- It means two types of players: Players that only play 1 character at a time, and a GM that plays everyone else. (I do like Microscope's idea, but it isn't the same type of game for me)
- It means a game: rules are present, and realism is largely irrelevant.
- It means the GM can ignore or modify #3 in favor of improving #1, as long as it is done fairly (Rule 0).
- It means all players take equal responsibility for enjoyable play - and no one gets to be a dick (Rule 00).
- It means funny shaped dice and endless sheets of paper. And pencils. And lots of erasers.
- It means discovering new and interesting creatures, killing them, and taking their awesome loot.
- It means interacting with NPCs, reasonably in-character, and either befriending or outwitting them.
- It means anything that is complex or can't be talked-out at the table has a random resolution.
- It means some kind of magic - spells, gods, curses, the Force, psionics, bouncing-off-the-walls-kung-fu, whatever - I don't care much for playing in a mundane setting.